- University of Pecs, Hungary M. D. 1974 Medicine
- Academy of Sciences, Budapest Ph. D. 1984 Neuroscience
- University of Texas, San Antonio post-doc 1980-81 Neuroscience
- University of Western Ontario, London post-doc 1981-82 Neuroscience
1975-88: Assistant/Adjunct Professor at Institute of Physiology, University of Pecs, School of Medicine, Pecs, Hungary.
1981: Clinical Electroencephalographer Examination, Budapest.
1984-85: Visiting Associate Professor, University of Lund, Lund, Sweden.
1985: Visiting Faculty at Department of Psychology, State University of New York at Binghamton, Binghamton, New York (2 months).
1986-88: J.D. French Foundation Fellow, Department of Neurosciences, UC San Diego, La Jolla, CA.
1988-90: Associate Professor in Residence, Department of Neurosciences, UCSD, La Jolla, CA.
1990-95: Professor I, Center for Molecular and Behavioral Neuroscience, Rutgers University, Newark, NJ.
1995-2003: Professor II, Center for Molecular and Behavioral Neuroscience, Rutgers University, Newark, NJ.
2003-2012: Board of Governors Professor, Center for Molecular and Behavioral Neuroscience, Rutgers University, Newark, NJ.
2012 – present: Biggs Professor of Neural Sciences , NYU Neuroscience Institute, New York University, Langone Medical Center, NY.
Honors and distinguished lectures
- The Brain Prize Lecture, FENS Forum, Barcelona, July 15, 2012.
- The Brain Prize (shared with Peter Somogyi and Tamas Freund), 2011. (thebrainprize.org)
- NYU Honors Program Lecture Series, January 30, 2011.
- J. P. Scott Annual Lecture. Center for Neuroscience, Bowling Green State University, Ohio. 2010.
- Sterling Visiting Professor Distinguished Lecture. Albany Medical College, NY. November 4, 2010.
- Keynote Speaker. European College of Neuropsychopharmacology ECNP 23rd. 2010.
- The Talairach Lecture, 16th Meeting of the Organization of Human Brain Mapping (OHBM) Society, Barcelona, Spain, 2010.
- Grass Traveling Scientist. University of Alabama, Program in Neurosciences. University of Alabama, Birmingham, AL. December 7, 2009.
- The Hans-Lukas Teuber Lecture, MIT, Cambridge, MA (2009)
- The 2nd David Smith Lecture, Oxford University, Oxford, England (2009)
- Henry Neufeld Memorial Award 2008 (BFS Israel)
- College de France Distinguished Professor. College de France, Paris, France (2008)
- Chancellor’s Award Lecture in Neuroscience, Louisiana State University, New Orleans, LA (2007)
- Opening Plenary Lecture, Federation of European Neuroscience Societies, FENS, Vienna, Austria (2006)
- Provost’s Research Award for Distinguished Scholarship, Rutgers University, (2006)
- The Swammerdam Lecture, Amsterdam, Dutch Academy of Sciences, The Netherlands (2005)
- The First Robert L. Isaacson Lecture. University of Binghamton (SUNY, 2005)
- Distinguished Lecturer. RIKEN Brain Science Institute (2005)
- Herbert Jasper Lecture. Montreal Neurological Institute (2005)
- Fellow, Neurosciences Research Program, La Jolla, CA (2005-2010)
- ISI Highly Cited (top 250 most cited neuroscientists)
- Elected Fellow, AAAS (2004)
- Krieg Cortical Discoverer Award. The Cajal Club, American Association of Anatomists (2001)
- Foreign member. Hungarian Academy Sciences (2001)
- Fogarty International Senior Fellow. National Institute of Health (2000)
- College de France Distinguished Professor. College de France, Paris, France (1999)
- The Pierre Gloor Award. American Clinical Neurophysiology Society (1997)
- G. Moruzzi Lecture. European Neuroscience Meeting. Strasbourg, France, 1996
- The Board of Trustees Award for Excellence in Research, Rutgers University (1995)
- Traveling Grass Scientist (1992) University of New Foundland, Canada
- F. Bottazzi Lecture. Opening address to the XLIII. Annual Meeting of the Italian Physiological Society, Sorrento, Italy, 1991
- J. D. French Foundation Fellow (1986-88)
- European Science Foundation Travel Awards (1981,1983,1984, 1986)
- Science Achievement Award, Hungarian Academy of Sciences (1986)
Contributions to the advancement of the academic profession
- IBRO Advisory Science Program (member)
- Science (member, Board of Reviewing Editors, 2011-)
- Neuron (2001-)
- Journal of Neurophysiology (2004-)
- Reviews in The Neurosciences (2001-)
- Hippocampus (1993-)
- Brain Structure and Function (2008-)
- Translational Neuroscience (2010-)
- The Thalamus (2001-)
- Clinical Neuroscience (2004-)
- Neuroscience Research Communications (1991-)
- Journal of Neuroscience (1997-2004)
- Epilepsia (1999-2003)
- Behavioral Brain Research (1993-2010)
- Neuroscience (1989-2004); Section Editor (2000-2004)
- Restorative Neurology and Neuroscience (1991-94)
- Behavioral Neuroscience (1990-1995)
Contemporary architecture. In my next life, I will be an architect. This is what I accomplished in the present one (our home in NJ – in collaboration with Peter Forbes and Tim Weiler)